Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I am his MOM

We have all heard the saying “Where did time go?” and now I am saying it! Where did time go? How can my first born son already be a man and making grown up decision?

I can still remember the day he was born. I thought he was the most beautiful baby I had ever seen. Love at first site is what it was!! All I wanted to do was to sit and hold him. At those moments I didn’t think I could ever love a child as much at I love him. Of course I realized how wrong I was when his younger brother was born. I have enough motherly love to give to all my kids… and more!!

Now here I am, my son, joining the Marines and leaving in June. A very honorable thing to do, but I still want to hold and protect him. I am a mom! I don’t want to let him go. Can’t I just keep him here and hold him a little longer and protect him from all the bad in the world?
Yes, I know, this is the way it’s supposed to be. He can’t live with us forever and we wouldn’t want him to. But now that the time is so close I’m feeling a little selfish and I want more. I am a mom who realizes that 18 years, is really not that long.

I can’t help but be a little proud of him and the man he is becoming. I just wish I didn’t, all a sudden, feel so sad. I know it will be fine. Many mothers before me have done the same thing. They are my examples but I still can’t help but think… I am his mom!!
I have earned the right to worry and miss the heck out of him.




4 comments:

Skousen Seven said...

Yes, you are his mom, and you will always have those instincts! Heavenly Father created mom's for a reason, to nurture, protect, love, and shelter.
You are an amazing mom,Sandi,(I know you will disagree), but know that you have raised a mature young man who has a goal in life.
Your family is so blessed to have you as their mom!!!! Its okay to be sad, you have that right. The Lord will be with Chris and your family in this new adventure.
Love you lots, Wendy

Jensen Family said...

Ditto to what Wendy said! You are a great mom! I love this post!

jessica rabbit said...

What a sweet picture. I LOVE the hair! =)

That is so awesome that he'll be serving our country! You've raised a great kid, Sandi!

{Bryanna} said...

HEY Sandi! I'm just now getting a chance to read this... not gonna lie.. made me cry. You are such an amazing mom.. And what an amazing son you have! I love that picture!
:) Bryanna
PS.. I didn't forget about running.. got braces. umm that's my excuse and im stickin to it! lol.. ttys!